Sr Mechanical Design Engineer Apply Now Save This JobJob is Saved Business Unit UTC Aerospace Systems Req ID 71701BR Date posted 08/24/2018 City Jamestown State/Province North Dakota
When the global aerospace community looks for ideas and solutions to its biggest challenges, they turn to the people of UTC Aerospace Systems. We design, invent and deliver the most advanced and diverse range of aerospace systems on the market. We are inventors. We are manufacturers. We work in space exploration, commercial air travel, defense and rescue applications. Always learning and pushing the boundaries, we are an undisputed industry leader that continually sets the bar higher and higher. Come soar with us
The high-quality products we design, produce and service in our Interiors, Actuation and Propeller Systems (IAPS) business allow both passengers and crew members to have a more comfortable experience and greater peace of mind during flight. From lighting and actuation systems to propellers, evacuation systems and seating - what we design and manufacture works together behind the scenes to enhance the overall flight experience. We delight our customers with superior products and best-in-class customer service, yet passengers don't even know we're there - and that's how we like it!
- Review and understand product specifications, design requirements, and scope of work.
- Collaborate with Systems Engineering on requirements validation/verification planning.
- Integrate system level design and architecture.
- Perform effort/duration estimates for tasks required to satisfy requirements.
- Generate design concepts in conformance with requirements and ensure adequate trade studies and designed experiments are conducted to arrive at optimum design configurations.
- Perform tolerance analyses on components and assemblies to ensure proper fit/function.
- Provide basic stress analysis and free body diagrams of conceptual designs for initial sizing of parts.
- Proficient in CAD solid modeling techniques to prepare component and assembly models.
- Specify Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing requirements.
- Coordinate with the Drafting group on preparation of drawings and perform initial engineering drawing check for approval prior to release.
- Write test requests, support design verification testing, and coordinate with the test department.
- Provide engineering support during new hardware fabrication.
- Interface with all other functional groups and departments as required in the development of the product design.
- Mentor lower level engineers and/or off-site (LCC) engineers.
- Use department computer technology in an independent and productive manner.
- Drive the usage of appropriate Lean Product Development tools to support cost-effective technical solutions with a focus on platform design, reuse, and knowledge management.
- Adhere to all Environmental, Health & Safety (EH&S) as well as International Trade Compliance (ITC) regulation and policy.
- Provide MRB support and disposition nonconforming product (previous experience not required).
Qualification: Basic Qualifications
- Experience with materials properties/selection and with manufacturing processes.(Aerospace Industry preferred)|
- ANSI ASME Y14.5 - Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T) and Tolerance Stack-up Analysis experience required.
- Experience/Proficiency with a detailed design using solid modeling software (CAD).
- Stress Analysis and Free-body Diagram experience required.
- FAA/EASA certification/regulation experience preferred.
- Work experience in all aspects of mechanical/mechanism design.
- Knowledge of manufacturing methods, processes, and techniques associated with Aluminum alloy machined parts.
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering with 4-7 years of experience required.
- Current/previous Boeing MRB certification preferred, but not required.
Nothing matters more to UTC Aerospace Systems than our strong ethical and safety commitments. As such, all U.S. positions require a background check, which may include a drug screen.
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Note to candidates regarding interview scams: We'd like to make it clear that UTC Aerospace Systems never asks candidates for money. If you've been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond, send money or personal information. Please report any suspicious activity to Talent Acquisition.